Monday, November 18, 2013

Exercise helps manage stress and anxiety

 
Some form of exercise is a wonderful way to manage stress and anxiety. The increase in hormones that benefit you, the decrease in hormones that hurt you over time, and the movement of stagnant energy and release of muscle tension all combine to make exercise an important part of any non-medical stress and anxiety management program.

For those who also deal with chronic pain, the questions quickly line up: Which types of exercise can I actually do? How can I prepare for exercise so I'm not out of commission for days afterward? How do I even begin?

Even those for whom chronic pain isn't a daily issue, beginning an exercise program of any type is something to think about carefully. It is all too easy to over do it, or choose a type of exercise not suited for you, and then give up due to pain, exhaustion or frustration.

Someone versed in a variety of non-medical management modalities and familiar with biology and anatomy can help you through this process. My background is a bit unusual for so-called alternative medicine practitioners in that not only did my two year training program in Clinical Hypnotherapy include such courses as Anatomy & Physiology, Pathophysiology and Psychology, but my background in the core sciences through my early interests and my original college major of Chemical Engineering, make me rather suited to combine these understandings. I plan to address this issue in more depth at a later time, although I certainly welcome any questions or comments!

#stress   #exercise   #anxiety

Image courtesy of cbenjasuwan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


No comments:

Post a Comment